I know everyone has a sales pitch, but the ones I dislike the most actually sound the silliest:
- We can “create” successful people.
- You will be “transformed” in a few weeks.
Ok let’s pick apart the above two sales pitches, just for fun, but in reality, this is quite serious because some people actually buy into this kind of pitch!
- Create – meaning taken from Dictionary.Com – “
If it’s true that someone can create a person, a human being, to become the best author in the world, or the best widget sales person ever, then surely we are all turning into robots, or maybe we are robots in the first place? Notice the above meaning of “create”? “
People are promising other people they can actually make them unique and not by ordinary processes? I doubt this can be done, it’s a silly sales pitch, or else we are talking magic or superhuman beings!
- Transforms – (not to be mistaken with Transformer, well I hope not). The meaning is taken from Dictionary.Com – “
The word transform has many meaning, I accept that, but “to change in form”. So when a person promises another person they can “transform” them or their business I conjure up pictures of weird and wonderful things, such as an actual Transformer from the movie, Optimus Prime is a good example. I know most people can change their appearance, new hair, clothes etc, but transforming our appearance is not actually the the secret that makes us successful.
You Can’t Create a Successful Person
My advice is pure and simple. When you see another sales pitch with the promise to create or transform you or your business, I would run the other way. You are YOU, and to transform you into something you are not, or to create you, is not a great idea. Here are a few reasons why:
- You are already a creation, you were born and you have a life, you are alive. No one can create YOU.
- Transforming you into what? A person who has changed into someone or something else does not sound a good idea.
Your success depends on you, the real you. The transparent you. The person you showcase to the world. Working hard, educating yourself and of course the passion for what you do, are what’s needed to be successful.
Competition is rife today in business, customers are demanding more and the key element that drives sales is trust. Trust builds a strong relationship. How can you have a trusted relationship with a person who wants to sell to you, but, who is not who they appear to be?
Customers today want:
- An open and honest relationship with the people they buy from.
- Questions answered, not skirted around.
- Integrity and credibility.
- Excellent follow up, customer service a top priority.
Success takes time, know yourself, your target market and the needs of your customers.